In this new podcast of the Belt and Road Institute in Sweden (BRIX), host Hussein Askary discusses with our guest Olawale A-Rasheed, CEO of Abuja, Nigeria-based African Railway Consulting Ltd, the current situation and future plans for railway connectivity in the African continent.
We try to answer the following questions:
- What is the status of transport sector in Africa, West Africa, and Nigeria?
- What projects are completed, under construction? Who is building them?
- What are the plans to develop this sector? Trans-African High-speed rail?
- What is the role of China and the BRI in this process, and what can the U.S. and Europe contribute to it? Why they should learn from China on focusing on the hard infrastructure development in Africa?
- There are many initiatives proposed by the U.S., the UK, and the EU to “rival” the BRI and China in Africa. Are these realistic? Wouldn’t it be better if the West and China join hands with Africa to reach the development goals?
Mr. Rasheed is also the Director of the African Rail Roundtable and editor of the specialized magazine Rail Business (Nigeria).